Sunday, 30 November 2008

Ravelry Rocks!

Blimey Ravelry is addictive! If anyone is struggling to find a new project I'd recommend you become part of the Ravelry rabble. I now have so many projects I want to knit. The free patterns are great and I've had so many nice helpful comments.

The Cobblestone Pullover has been started and I'm loving the Cascade yarn. It sits so well and feels good. The only problem I've encountered so far has been trying to cast on 230 stitches onto a circular needle without getting them twisted. I finally got it sussed after the fourth cast-on attempt! Pics will appear soon.

Has anyone got any tips on how to knit with skeins? The Cascade yarn is in 220 yard skeins and is getting twisted. I've unravelled a couple of the skeins and rewound them into balls but this is quite time consuming. So all tips are appreciated.

Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Three projects finished and being worn!

Blimey. In the last couple of weeks i've really had a push and i've finished three projects! Yay.

The Central Park Hoodie had been staring at me for months so i finally stopped feeling guilty and got the thing sewn up. I used mattress stitch to insert the first sleeve and sew the side...but that was months ago and it took sooooo long to do. So, i decided to use the over seam method. I know it's not recommended by some books but it's come out quite nicely. Unfortunatley i didn't sew the buttons on well enough so two have already come off but they'll be put back on soon.

So armed with my sewing knowledge and a bundle of enthusiasm I finished the Sirdar 8777 pattern. I increased the body length by an inch (i'm a bit taller than the average female) but this meant that i was running very short of wool to knit the collar so i only knitted it for 1 & 1/4 inches. I just had enough wool left to sew up the shoulders in the original colour and scavenged some bottle green DK remanents from my partner's mum. Again, when looking at the side seams, unless you look closely you can't tell it's a very slightly different colour but i'm pleased with the sewing.

And finally, i've finished my first ever pair of socks! They are knitted to a standard Regia 4 ply pattern (the freebie pattern they give out) on 2.5mm needles. My partner has size 11 UK feet so it took quite a while to get them finished but he seems to like them. One problem i did have is shown in the photo. When decreasing i followed the pattern and decreased on the last stitch. When the socks are being worn they have huge holes in them due to the stitches being stretched. I'm wondering if i should decrease using the 2nd/3rd to last stitches as is shown in other patterns - any advice would be appreciated as the holes don't look very attractive.

Next up - Cobblestone Pullover from Interweave using the Cascade 220 heathers yarn in olive heather for my partner.....just waiting for the wool to arrive.

Saturday, 1 November 2008

Central Park Hoodie

In need of a new project I decided rather than spend hours in a little old wool shop, leafing my way through masses of folders in search of that one pattern that was designed for someone under 60 year old, I turned to the internet and discovered the angel yarns forum. Why hadn’t I done this before? It hadn’t even crossed my mind that patterns would be available online, let alone people doing knit-a-longs (KALs) and blogging! Welcome to 2008 Paula.

One of the popular KALs was the central park hoodie, from an American knitting magazine and the pattern was available to download. This is what I’d been looking for – something a bit funkier. The next problem was to find a yarn that could be adapted for the pattern. I’ve never been that adventurous with my knitting – usually knitting the sizes and lengths given to the yarn specified. I eventually settled on Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed in pillar box red.

It didn’t take long to make, only three or four months (that’s quick for me). I decided to knit the 40” chest and without trying on the finished article it seems to be the right size for me.

My downfall is my sewing up. I’m not a fan of sewing and I get impatient, so usually end up making a hash of it and spoiling the item. As a result I’ve only partially sewn up the hoodie, just the second sleeve to put in, that side to sew up and the buttons to place.

The picture above is of the back section. Due to the wool being bobbly some of the rib section looks a little odd but when the garment is stretched out it's less obvious. I’ll post some more pictures when it’s all sewn up.